An historic National Trust town in the sugar growing belt of Central Queensland.
Location: 325 km north of Brisbane; 60 km north of Maryborough; 52 km south of Bundaberg; 108 m above sea level.
Points of interest: Burrum Coast National Park (Burrum River; Burrum
Point, 23,100 ha); Palm Beach; Coonarr Creek; Theodolite Creek; Gregory
River; Hoppy Larks Creek; Elliott River, Palm Beach; Sea View Range;
Woodgate National Parks; Soldiers Room Memorial; Isis Central Mill;
localities of Burrum Heads, Howard, Torbanlea, Woodgate; Childers
Pharmaceutical Museum; Olde Butcher Shoppe; Federal Hotel (1907); Court
House (1897. 1900); Palace Hotel; Historical Complex; old Isis Central
The Childers area was first explored by Europeans in the 1850s. The
town grew up around a stopping place for passing teamsters and as a
service centre for the local pastoralists who moved into the area
around the same time. In 1902 the town was virtually wiped out by a
fire which demolished nearly all the buildings on one side of the main
street. Those that survived are now the interesting and important
buildings in the town.
View Larger Map
Origin of name
Named after Hugh Culling Eardley Childers (1827-1896), public
servant and politician, MLC and MLA Victoria 1852-1857, British MP
1860-92, First Lord of the Admiralty 1868-71, Chancellor of the Duchy
of Lancaster 1872-73, Secretary of State for War 1880-82, Chancellor of
the Exchequer 1882-85 and Home Secretary 1886.