A prosperous inland town servicing the surrounding agricultural
region. The construction of the huge Fairbairn Dam in 1972 saw the
area's agricultural focus shift from cattle to crops. It now produces
over 25% of Queensland's cotton.
Location: 263 km west of Rockhampton; 909 km from Brisbane (via Rockhampton).
Blackdown TablelandsBlackdown Tableland National Park (110 km east):
Rising abruptly above the surrounding dry plains, Blackdown Tableland
protects spectacular sandstone scenery with gorges and waterfalls at
the north-eastern edge of the central Queensland sandstone belt. The
tableland is the traditional home of the Ghungalu people who have
visited this place for thousands of years and left behind rock art,
vivid reminders of their special culture.
Natural features: Nogoa River; Fossilised Wood (displayed outside the
Emerald Town Hall, estimated to be 250 million years old)
Built features: Lake Maraboon and Fairbairn Dam (1,440,000 ML); Emerald Cotton Gin.
Heritage features: Emerald Pioneer Cottage (1880); town lockup (built
1910, in use until 1970), St Marks Presbyterian Church (1884); Emerald
Railway Station (1900)
Fossicking: The old gold mining district surrounding Clermont attracts
interest from fossickers and metal detector enthusiasts. They are
located in state forests or reserves, and special conditions apply.
There are a number of separate areas available: Clermont (PDF, 35 kB) |
Black Ridge (PDF, 200 kB) | Bathampton (PDF, 223 kB) | Birimgan (PDF,
388 kB) | Bottom Apsley (PDF, 250 kB) | Town Reserve (PDF, 263 kB) |
McDonalds Flat (PF, 233 kB) | Four Mile (PDF, 330 kB) | McMasters (PDF,
363 kB) | Museum Reserve (PDF, 263 kB)
Petrified wood is a type of fossil, in which the tissues of a dead
plant are replaced with minerals (most often a silicate, such as
quartz). The petrifaction process occurs underground, when wood or
woody materials suddenly become buried under sediment. Mineral-rich
water flowing through the sediment deposits minerals in the plant's
cells and as the plant's lignin and cellulose decays away, a stone cast
is left in its place. The volunteers at the Rowley Roberts Tourist
Information Centre can show you examples of petrified wood and direct
you to where you might see this in its natural setting. The Centre is
located west of Emerald in Alpha.
Origin of name: Possibly a reference to the precious stone deposits
found in the area, the name was first given to the Emerald Downs
pastoral run name by pastoralist Peter Fitzallan MacDonald around 1860.
View Larger Map
Ludwig Leichhardt was the first European in the area in 1845, he
named the nearby Comet River after seeing a comet. He also inscribed
the word 'Dig' on a tree by the banks of the river. The tree is now in
the Queensland Museum in Brisbane. Leichhardt's glowing reports of the
area's rich black soil soon brought the first European settlers to the
area. Gold and copper were discovered in the 1860s, but in limited
The town was established in 1879 as a base for the railway line from
Rockhampton to the Central West. Unfortunately, little is left of
Emerald's early buildings as the town was ravaged by major fires in
1936, 1940, 1954 and 1968. The construction of the huge Fairbairn Dam
in 1972 saw the area's agricultural focus shift from cattle to crops.
It now produces over 25% of Queensland's cotton.