A major service centre and the largest town on the Atherton
tableland. It is the centre for a number of agricultural activities
including coffee plantations, mango, avocado and tobacco farms.
Location: 64 km west of Cairns; 450 metres above sea-level.
Places of interest in the surrounding area: Barron River; Granite
Gorge; Mareeba Tropical Savannah and Wetland Reserve; Davies Creek
National Park; Golden Drop Tropical Winery; Tinaroo Falls Dam; Mosque
(built by the town's Albanian community); Mareeba Heritage Museum.
Origin of name: a local Aboriginal term meaning 'meeting of the waters' or 'place to meet'.
View Larger Map
The locality was settled by John Atherton in 1880. Atherton had
settled at Emerald End Station on the Barron River in 1876. He
discovered tin and named the locality Tinaroo. His house became an inn
and the town, the first on the tableland, grew up around it. Tobacco
was first grown in the area in 1928 and did much to bring prosperity to
a town which had previously been little more than a stopping point.
Today there are over 400 tobacco farms around the town.