An isolated outback community whose great claim to fame is that the
local pub, now known as the Walkabout Creek Hotel, was featured in the
original Crocodile Dundee movie as Dundee's regular drinking spot.
Location: 104 km south east of Cloncurry.
Captain James Henry, the founder of Cloncurry, passed through the
area in 1866. Gold was discovered on the McKinlay- Cloncurry road in
1872 and a small settlement sprang up. It wasn't until 1888 that
allotments of land in McKinlay were sold and seventeen people bought
half-acre blocks. The town grew as a service centre for the surrounding
pastoralists but it was never going to become a major centre.
View Larger Map
Origin of name: the town was surveyed in January 1888 by John
Thomas Embley (1858-1937) surveyor. He named it after John McKinlay
(1819-1872) explorer, who saw and named the McKinlay River in 1861.