A quiet town which has an interesting history and an almost intact
turn of the 20th century main street. The town, which hosts the annual
Miles Wildflower Festival every September, is the headquarters of the
Location: 339 km west of Brisbane; 212 km from Toowoomba; 307 m above sea-level.
Dogwood Crossing @ Miles
A regional cultural centre which utilises the old Miles Library
building as well as a new extension to the existing building. Its role
is to display the social history of Murilla Shire by recording local
stories. It was also designed to compiliment the Miles Historical
Museum as well as housing an Art Gallery, Library and IT Centre.
Miles Historical Village
Over the years this historic village has developed into one of the
premier tourism attractions within the region.Places of Interest There
are currently over 30 buildings with amazing collections and links to a
bygone era. Some of these include- coach house, blacksmiths, general
store, post office, bakery, union hotel, barbers, chemist, café,
bank, hospital butcher. In addition to the streetscape shops there are
significant collection displays including The Artesian Basin Centre,
Norman Donpon Lapidary Display, War Museum, Mr G Morgan Shell House,
Main Museum and more.
View Larger Map
Dogwood Creek which was named by the explorer Ludwig Leichhardt when
he passed through the area in 1844 on his journey from Jimbour to Port
Essington in the Northern Territory. The town developed in 1878 when
the railway from Brisbane ran into troubles crossing Dogwood Creek. The
delay meant that railway workers settled in the area. Shops, stores and
pubs were established, and, for a short time, it became the railhead
for supplies to the west.
Origin of name: originally known as Dogwood Crossing, it was later
changed to Miles in honour of William Miles, the owner of Dulacca
Station, a local Member of Parliament and the Queensland Colonial