Nockatunga Station is one of the Queensland's leading bullock
fattening properties (8,500 sq. km). Despite an annual average rainfall
of just 200 mm, Nockatunga is rich channel country as the Mitchell
grass plains cover two thirds of the property.
Location: 125 km west of Thargomindah
Places of interest: Cooper/Eromanga Basin oil fields (Wilson River;
Jackson and Naccowlah, first drilled in 1981. Trucked oil production
commenced 1981; the Jackson-Moonie pipeline was opened in 1984);
Jackson-Moonie pipeline; Noccundra Hotel, to the south, is listed by
the National Trust as it is one of the oldest buildings standing in
south west Queensland.
Origin of name: derived from the name of a pastoral run name, first
used 1866. It is reportedly from Aboriginal words of the Theirila
language, Beiri-ya dialect, nocka, meaning water and tunga, meaning
View Larger Map
Herbert Bristow Hughes of Adelaide took up land here in the 1870s
and established the Nockatunga Station. It was owned by the Hughes
family for 120 years prior to being purchased by Consolidated Pastoral
Company in 1990, Nockatunga Station is used to finish bullocks from
Isis Downs, Mimong and the Northern Territory stations.
The nearby Jackson-1 oil well was drilled in 1981 and was the discovery
well for the Jackson Field, the second largest onshore oil field in
Australia. Following the Jackson discovery, a further 18 commercial
fields were discovered in the Naccowlah Block. Current production from
the Naccowlah Block is approximately 2,200 barrels per day (gross) from
about 70 wells.