A sleepy country town with a history of mixed fortunes.
Location: 200 km from Charleville; 208 km from Barcaldine; 398 m above sea level.
Places of interest: Barcoo River; Salvator Rosa National Park; Marston
Cave; Influenza Memorial (recalls an epidemic which was rampant in
1919); new Post Offices (1904); old Post Office (1876); Black's Palace
Reserve (70 km north) a significant complex of Aboriginal drawings and
The oldest town in central western Qld, it was surveyed and gazetted
in the early 1860s and settlement began in 1863. It became a stopping
place for carriers, shearers and drovers who shared their experiences
here. The town is today a mix of old and new - buildings from the
Victorian era standing alongside those from the post-World War II years.
View Larger Map
Origin of name: derived from the name of a pastoral run used from
1869 by pastoralist Frederick Fanning. It is not known how Tambo was
named. Possibilities include: an Aboriginal word for shady waters,
hidden waters, hidden place, secluded spot, native gum resting place or
fish; Tambo in Peru, South America; or Tambo in Victoria.