A small outback settlement on the edge of the desert. It is the
headquarters for the Bulloo Shire, the third largest shire in
Queensland, with an area of 73,500 square kilometres and a population
of just 580 people.
Location: 1014 km west of Brisbane; 126 m above sea level
The Dig Tree near the South Australian border where William Brahe, left
in command of Camp LXV by Burke and Wills, buried supplies and carved
'Dig' on 21st April 1861. Brahe, after waiting for months for Burke and
Wills to return from their expedition to the Gulf, left the camp the
day the starving and exhausted explorers returned.
Places of interest: Bulloo River; artesian bore (1891, depth of 795
metres, the water comes to the surface at 84 degrees).
Brief history: the town came into existence in the 1870s as a service
centre for the area's pastoralists. It was gazetted in 1874.
Origin of name: derived from the local parish name, which was the name
of a pastoral run nearby. It is reportedly an Aboriginal word, language
and dialect not recorded, for the echidna.