Lake Glenmaggie was created in the 1920s by damming the Macalister
River a short distance below the junction with the Glenmaggie Creek.
The, now flooded, shallow valley once comprised rich alluvial flats
dotted with farms and the small settlement of Glenmaggie. The blocks of
the Glenmaggie township were first offered for sale in August 1877.
Most of the original buildings were located below the Full Supply
Level of the weir and they, along with nearby farms, were inundated as
the weir filled. The last building to close in the old Glenmaggie
township was the hotel. When the slowly rising water finally reached
the bar a last round was consumed and that was it. The township did
continue for some years higher up the bank, where a number of buildings
had been relocated.